Andrew Tate’s mobile phone and laptop are being searched as Romanian prosecutors seek evidence as part of an organized crime and human trafficking investigation, an official has said.
The 36-year-old British-American, who has nearly five million Twitter followers, was detained in Bucharest in late December, along with her brother Tristan and two Romanian women.
On Wednesday the two Tatas were taken from a police van in handcuffs to the capital city offices of the country’s Directorate of Investigation of Organized Crime and Terrorism (Dycot).
Diacot’s Ramon Bola confirmed that a forensic examination of the Tet’s equipment is being carried out.
Responding to a reporter’s questions as soon as he arrived at the offices, Tate said “the case file is completely empty” and that “there is no justice in Romania”.
Tristan Tate was heard saying: “For my money. That’s why I’m in jail. I have money they’re going to steal.”
Both brothers will be held in custody until the end of February, after a judge on Friday granted prosecutors a second request to extend their detention to 30 days.
It is unclear whether Tate has appealed against the decision.
Andrew Tate, a former professional kickboxer who has reportedly been living in Romania since 2017, was previously banned from various major social media platforms for expressing misogynistic views and hate speech.
After Tate and the women were arrested, Dicot said he identified six victims who were subjected to “acts of physical violence and mental coercion” and sexual abuse by alleged crime gang members.
The agency said the victims were lured on the pretext of love, but subsequently subjected to intimidation, surveillance and other control tactics, while coerced into performing obscene acts for substantial financial gain.
Late Tuesday night, a post appeared on Andrew Tate’s Twitter account that said: “My case is a political operation designed to undermine my influence. Throughout history, people have been empowered to empower unjust Imprisonment has been used. The game hasn’t changed.
Earlier in January, Romanian officers descended on a compound near Bucharest and took away a fleet of luxury cars including a blue Rolls-Royce, a Ferrari and a Porsche.
They reported an estimated £3.16 million worth of property seized.
Prosecutors have said that if they can prove the owners earned the money through illegal activities such as human trafficking, the assets will be used to cover the costs of the investigation and to compensate victims.
Tate also unsuccessfully appealed for asset forfeiture.